The Project Space invites applications for the 2018 Young Female Residency Award.
With a combined local and international fully funded 8 months residency and an opportunity to feature at major local and international Art Fairs, this residency award offers selected artists with the best career boost to develop and grow their creative practice, expand their network internationally and experience a climate of cultural diversity.
The 2017 South African winner Alka Dass featured in a group show at Turbine Art Fair- 2017, she had a solo project at Investec Cape Town Art Fair -2018. And she will travel to New York with THE PROJECT SPACE as part of a two person show at 1:54 Contemporary African Art Fair, New York -2018 along with the 2017 “rest of Africa” winner Tracey Gillian Abe from Uganda.
– Applicants must be female and under the age of 35.
– Applicants must have between 2 and 4 years practicing as an artist
– Must work in the medium of either drawing, painting, printmaking and/or sculpture, consideration will be given to exceptional conceptual and photography works.
– Applications are open to South African Female visual artists.
Artists are expected to:
– work from the studio, interacting with local artists, and experiencing the city,
– complete a written report on their visit,
– donate a work to The Project Space on completion of the residency,
– arrive on time and stay for the full period (5 months).
What will a successful applicant receive?
– A 5-month residency in Johannesburg including a material stipend and accommodation if the winner is from outside Johannesburg
– Solo show at the end of the residency
– A return flight ticket to France for a 10-week international residency with SAFFCA in 2019, including R45,000 stipend while on residency in France.
– Turbine Art Fair group show together with the 2 runners-up
This applicant must be able to participate in the full programme starting on 01 July and ending on 30 November 2018.
Applicants should not expect to profit financially from their stay as this is cultural development programme.
Applicants must submit:
– a representative portfolio of work
– a substantial curriculum vitae with full names, references, addresses and contact numbers
– a brief letter of motivation, not more than one A4 page long, outlining reasons for wishing to join the programme.
Applications must be submitted by email to email@example.com