From 26 – 27 August 2023, the two-day Critical Writing Workshop by Contemporary And, Salta art and Instituto Inclusartiz targets eemerging art critics based in Rio de Janeiro.
Contemporary And (C&), Salta art and Instituto Inclusartiz facilitate a two-day Critical Writing Workshop for emerging art critics based in Rio de Janeiro. It will take place at Inclusartiz, R. Sacadura Cabral, 333 – Gamboa, Rio de Janeiro, from 26 – 27 August 2023. The invitation is open to art writers in the early stages of their career.
The C& Critical Writing Workshop aims to
• Facilitate the circulation of knowledge and experience among participants.
• Discuss arts reporting and critical writing practice particularly to attract a younger audience.
• Provide the tools of how to write reviews, comments and essays within a given timeframe.
• Mediate how to pitch topics to different media platforms.
• Give insights into the processes of editing.
• Link participants to a network of arts journalists contributing to C& with the possibility of publishing on C& online and other outlets.
Deadline for submission: 13 August 2023
Daniel Brazil is from Morro do Encontro, writer, editor and co-founder of Oriki Editora. Author of the novel Tudo o que prometi ser (Bando Editorial Favelofágico, 2022), and of the poetry book Roleta do genocídio ou signos da diáspora (Oríkì, 2019). He is part of the collections Favela em mim (Oríkì, 2019), Porremas: escreva muito bêbado, edite de ressaca (Mórula, 2018) and Grãos imastigáveis: contos favelofágicos (Bando Editorial Favelofágico, 2015).
Will Fredo Furtado is a Guatemalan-Cabo Verdean non-binary artist, writer and the deputy editor of Contemporary And América Latina. In their practice Will works with images, text, body and object to expand on ideas of queer futurity and decolonial epistemologies. Will has exhibited with institutions such as Goethe-Institut Bogota, Videonale 19, Bundeskunsthalle, Eastside Projects, Kunsthalle Baden Baden, apexart, 6th Ural Industrial Biennale, Galerie im Körnerpark, Galleria Fonti among others.
Interested candidates should submit a CV, a one-page letter of motivation and/or a writing sample (1000 words max.) to email@example.com
A maximum of 20 applicants will be accepted.
The participants should:
• Have first journalistic/writing experiences in the cultural field. Senior writers with long-term experience will not be accepted.
• Be interested in a focus on visual arts.
• Be fluent in written and spoken Portuguese
Founded in 1998 in Rio de Janeiro, Instituto Inclusartiz promotes education and culture in order to bring art to everyone and promote social integration and cultural exchange.
About Salta art
Salta art is an independent non-profit arts organization that seeks to foster the exchange of ideas between South America and Germany. Salta art supports residencies, talks, performances, exhibitions and research to encourage a dialogue among artists, curators, cultural producers and art enthusiasts. In that way, Salta art aims to provide opportunities for collaborations as well as to develop mutual understanding.