LABORATÓRIO SANTISTA announces an open call to select artists, researchers, creators and inventors for short term artistic residencies hosted at its headquarters.
Who can participate?
Artists; researchers; creators; inventors; people interested in being part of a collaborative process of learning, unlearning, and creation, as well as in exchanging knowledge and opening up to creative experimentations with art and life.
The open call is directed towards both Brazilians and non-Brazilians with a special focus on people who identify as belonging to the Global South. The term South is not understood here as strictly geographical, therefore there are no restrictions as to country of origin. In this open call we understand South as a cultural, geopolitical, and identity based recognition of voices, territories, and bodies who have been historically silenced, explored, oppressed, colonized and/or subjugated.
If you’re a collective or a duo, please make this evident in your application and we will search for a way to welcome you, even if funds are available to host only one member of your group. The residencies will take place between July and November 2018 and may last a minimum of 10 and maximum of 30 days. We have a total of six openings for this edition.
What are the accomodations?
The accommodations are in individual 97-square-foot rooms equipped with pull out beds or bunk beds, a closet, workspace, wireless internet, and a ceiling fan. The rooms are inside LABxS (Laboratório Santista), a 1,500-square-foot cultural venue located at Santos’ Downtown area (Rua Sete de Setembro, 52, Vila Nova, Santos, São Paulo). Bathrooms are located in the same floor as the rooms, few steps away from the entrance door; the space also has a fully equipped kitchen with a refrigerator and gas range, where residents can cook and eat.
The floor where the residencies take place is shared between the residents and the management teams of both LABxS (Lab Santista) and Instituto Procomum and have partially controlled access. For the time being, there is no accessibility for wheelchair users, only stairs. If you have special needs, we will do whatever possible to adapt and tend to them. Please include this in your application.
What will LAB Santista offer to selected applicants?
– Funds for round trip travel;
– Daily spending money: BRL 90.00;
– Funds for production and materials: up to BRL 500.00;
– Stipend for residents: total of BRL 1,000.00;
– Assistance with travel logistics and temporary housing;
– A shared work and creation space, equipped with power, internet connection, tables and chairs;
– Access to Laboratório Santista’s (LABxS) entire infrastructure: locker rooms, an urban permaculture lab, a kitchen, a multipurpose room, a classroom, housing, storage, a recreational area, and everything else still to be invented;
– Opportunity to develop a social-artistic project in the Baixada Santista area;
– Languages: Portuguese, English, and Spanish.
What should selected applicants offer in return?
– Involvement with the processes and dynamics of Lab Santista’s space, its network of people and initiatives, and the territory surrounding it (residents of Bacia do Mercado – the Market Wharf –, in the downtown area of Santos);
– Develop a dynamic of shared upkeep of the space, ensuring that its maintenance is everyone’s responsibility;
– Document the processes, so they can be shared;
– Carry out at least one conversation circle and/or workshop for the community, LABxS and its neighbors.
May 29th to June 17th – Online applications at: http://labsantista.procomum.org/register-labxs-2018-residency-program/
June 22nd: Announcement of the results
July to November 2018: Residencies
Read the full call here.